Saturday 21 January 2012

CURTIS QUARCOO__MY TWIN BROTHER

In growing up, my mother occasionally told me that having a single child will be like carrying a handbag and since she was never ready to leave the other arm bare, she wouldn't understand why her children will do same. So, she's been playfully warning me to hold that baton firmly... She still does.

Honestly, I've been blessed to have someone by my side since birth. You might probably not know how it feels to be a twin but I've no other word to describe it if not "it feels complete!", no offence.

Curtis Quarcoo has been a blessing to my life and will be till I depart. Back in creche and kindergarten when we used to swap positions in class every term, then he took over, more theoritical and me, more practical. I remember the days when I used to cry about breakfast, then when mom is out of sight, he'll just finish up mine and laugh. No wonder he's still bigger than I am. We were together in class till separated in class 6 at Seven Great Princes Academy. Then we moved to Tema and sat back together in class. Brainy! He'll be reading novels with candies in his mouth whiles the teacher was in front of the class.

Memories!

My keeper. There are stubborn stuff I just wouldn't want my mom to tell him and when she does, ooohh that look on his face... Then he goes "Akwele!" Making me feel all weighty as if the world's guilt is on my shoulders. When it comes to food, he's an interesting fellow. "Today let it be sweet! When I say sweet, you know what I mean... Awww *with a sorrowful face* you should see what I eat in school..." If you were me, wouldn't you give in your best shot?! Lol.

Spiritually, we are so connected. He understands this better. He's such a helper and an admirer. No one is perfect but his fruits are admirable, attractive and sweet when tasted.

Besides this little percentage of fun and excitement, we fight a lot, and make up all the time. Although we are of different sex, we often behave like my lil sisters-twins; equal share, equal privileges and the like. But my mom will always say, who else will you fight with if not him?

I miss him when we're away from home. The fights over who to watch a particular channel, who to do the laundry on a particular day, how much food he's eating, chores, spending money, even the gossips, dreams, plans, dozing off whiles praying, freaking ourselves out, those unheard songs and notes we sing to disturb the hood... I don't know how I would've turned up if I'd come as a single child or worse case scenario, if we were in different families. Well, I guess if we were in different families, I would have an English accent and he, well... *smiles*

There were days we thought we were so different but even in our difference, we are alike in a lot of ways and surprisingly, it's somewhat amazing and a bit annoying cos I can just tell, he he too... Hmmm. God is amazing, isn't he?

The love my brother and I share is beyond measure. He is the first gift God gave me and I know for sure he isn't taking his gift back. Not today, not tomorrow... I wish the best for you, Curtis... I love you like... Like I love you... Mwuah!!

INSPIRATION: I wrote this simple piece in honour of my twin brother. Many honour their mothers, fathers and lovers in writing, but this is for my 'Other-half'

3 comments:

What do you think?